Winter Hedgies

As the weather here ( in South Africa) grows steadily colder, Tina Tenrec has taken to eating very little. Most days she eats nothing. About once or twice a week, she comes out to eat a few pellets and take a sand bath. The heating pad in her house was taken off the timer and is now on 24/7. Everything essential in her cage was moved to the top level, where she can access it without a long, cold trek downstairs.

Quasifrodo is officially outside. Despite the chilly nights, the days are wind-still and sunny and Quasi has not tried to hibernate. He is very fat, so if he does sleep a week or three, he will probably still be alright. I have seen his empty bowls every morning, a sign that he is still eating healthily. I will confess that I have not bathed him in a long time. I don't want him to get cold from being wet. This makes trimming his nails more tricky, but not impossible. I am also pleased to report that he is friendlier than ever before (maybe because I have body heat). I have set his cuddle such off limits, because it is too much trouble to wash by hand and my mother has banned me from using the washing machine for Quasifrodo's bedding. She says that it makes the entire machine stink of hedgehog butt (it is not an entirely unfounded claim). Now he has fleece blankies that are easier to wash by hand.

 Grumpy little Quasifrodo in his foam fortress.

WARNINGHedgehogs are not low maintenance pets. They are a lot of work to keep clean and amused.

Comments

Popular Posts