Escape Artist Tina

I woke up to chaos. My family was scouring the house for my missing pet. Tina had just arrived, but seemed to already be on her way out. Her first night was spent in the same enclousure as Quasi, the two levels separated by a temporary hardboard blockade. There was no sign of her, not a dropping or footprints, nothing. After a very unsuccessful inside search, I headed outside to look for Tina amongst the pot plants on our porch. During this frantic hunt mingled with muttered prayer, I heard a jubilant yell from inside. Tina was found!
Apparently, the tiny tenrec had crawled underneath our kitchen fridge, seeking the warmth of the engine. When my father gave our cat her morning milk on the tiles in front of the fridge, Tina fearlessly strode out from under the fridge, straight through Darling ( our cat ) 's legs and had a snack of milk. I promptly scooped her up and put her in a crate with slippery sides so as to prevent escape.
After some inspection, it was concluded that Tina could fit through the chicken-wire door of the enclousure. This meant that even though we stopped up any holes elsewhere, she had an entire wall/door to use for escape.

After much discussion, we concluded that Tina could not be kept in the old hamster cage until she outgrew the chicken-wire. In the end, we had to buy smaller chicken-wire to replace the original, so that she could still live in her home without making the entire family sick with worry. I hope she stays inside tonight.


Comments

Popular Posts